Friday, June 10, 2016

Announcements for June 12

Looking Ahead: Fourth of July Ice Cream Social 
St. John’s ice cream social is a wonderful part of the Fourth of July tradition in Flossmoor. It is our gift to the community. Many volunteers are needed on July 4th, and also for set up on July 3rd and clean up afterwards. Can you contribute time to help set up, host, or clean up for the event? Contact Gale Michael to volunteer. Contributions from parishioners help us continue to offer children’s entertainment at the event and to keep food costs low. Look for donation envelopes around the church.

Vegetable Abundance
I (Pastor Orr) participate in a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). At the beginning of the season I buy a “share” in a local farm. Each week I get a box full of whatever is ready at that time—freshly picked, locally and organically grown. Occasionally I get something I don’t like (beets, fennel). Often I get more than I need. This summer I’m going to offer the abundance in the undercroft on Sundays. It’s free; take all you can use. The point is for none to be wasted. If you wish, on occasion, to make a contribution, proceeds will go to Respond Now. This week: carrots.