Friday, June 17, 2016

Announcements for June 19

Vestry Meeting
The vestry meets this Monday, June 20, beginning in the church at 7:00 PM.

Looking Ahead: Fourth of July Ice Cream Social
July 4th is only two weeks away. St. John’s Ice Cream Social is our gift to the people, young and old, of Flossmoor. Financial contributions are needed to help cover the cost of the children’s entertainment. And many volunteers are needed to run the event. Contact Gale Michael to volunteer. Look for the red, white and blue donation envelopes around the church.

Parish Office Summer Hours
Parish office hours are reduced during the summer. The office will be open Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 9:00 AM – 12:00 noon and Tuesday and Thursday from 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM.

Vegetable Abundance
I (Pastor Orr) participate in a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). At the beginning of the season I buy a “share” in a local farm. Each week I get a box full of whatever is ready at that time—freshly picked, locally and organically grown. Occasionally I get something I don’t like (beets, fennel). Often I get more than I need. This summer I’m going to offer the abundance in the undercroft on Sundays. It’s free; take all you can use. The point is for none to be wasted. If you wish, on occasion, to make a contribution, proceeds will go to Respond Now. This week: lettuce, endive.